SOIL PROFILE OF Los Chacayes
- Los Chacayes as a GI is among the warmest appellations in the Uco Valley.
- Its heat summation is situated slightly above other GI´s like Gualtallary and Altamira.
- This is a colluvium (roundend stones) - alluvium (square-jagged gravels) soil, with a sandy loam frame in the first 10 inches that confers excellent drainage.
- The second layer is formed by a large amount of calcareous incrustations and white colored stones down until 6 feet.
- A layer of black caliche splits the last layer leaving a sandy loam bed underneath.